Sunday, October 31, 2010

MicroAquarium Week 3

This week was an interesting one. First, Betta food pellets were added to the MicroAquarium. The name of the food is "Atison's Betta food" and is made by Ocean Nutrition, Aqua Pet Americans, 3528 West 500 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84104. Ingredients: Fish meal, wheat flower, soy meal, krill meal, minerals, vitamins and preservatives. Analysis: Crude protein 36%; Crude fat 4.5%; Crude fiber 3.5%; Moisture 8%; and Ash 15% (McFarland). During the week, after the food was added to the aquarium the activity inside multiplied. There are many more tiny organisms moving very fast and also a lot of green algae or some kind of fungal growth composed of many filaments. I also notice an increase of actinosphaerium, rotifers, and snails, ciliates, heliozoans, flagellates, and many protozoa. The picture below show a snail feeding on plant B. I noticed many snails around plant B as well. They love to hang around and feed. I think the snails are the one watching and keeping everything under control inside the Aquarium.   




This one I just noticed and I am working on identifying him. I will get back to this one on Tuesday.
This guy here is not identify as of yet. i am not sure if a flatworm or a roundworm.
My view this week was very different to last week. Let me mention that the aquarium had less water inside, it is due to evaporation so I inserted some water to fill it up. I think that the process of putting the Betta food in the aquarium made everything gain strengh and all different kinds of organisims are appearing. The algae is also very big, it seems to be growing and growing, whcih is good because many of the organisms feed on dead plants, algae, and animal material.


Reference:
Patterson, D.J. Free Living Freshwater Protozoa, Washington D.C. Manson Publishing ltd. (1996).

No comments:

Post a Comment