Sunday, October 17, 2010

MicroAquarium Project

An inquiry into the dynamic microorganisms in our environment.
On Wednesday 13, 2010, I started my MicroAquarium project and it will be a weekly process for the next five weeks. I placed 1/3 of water into the aquarium, the first water was taken from the bottom of the container #4 which is water from the Holston River located along the John Sevier river under I 40 bridge. After I placed the first 1/3 of water from the bottom, I took another 1/3 of water from the center of the container and placed it in the aquarium, after that i took the another 1/3 of water from the top of the container as well a two different plants. The plants are Labeled A and B. Plant A called Fontinalis and is a collection from Natural spring at Carters Mill Park, in Knox co. This particular plant is a partial shade exposure as well as the water from the Holston River. Plant B is called Utricularia Gibba, and is a flowering plant and carnivous. The original material is from south shore of Spain Lake, east of Sparta, TN. This particular plant is grown in water tanks outside of greenhouse at Hesler Biology building at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville.
After I placed the water together with the plants in the MicroAquarium I looked at it under a microscope and what I saw was incredible. First, I notice a very small almost transparent organism swimming back and forth in a very fast mode and when not moving, it was feeding on plant B. On plant B, I saw 2 small bubbles and inside it appears to be another bubble except the bubble inside was darker and between them I noticed very small particle moving around. I also saw a long organism moving very fast near plant A which I believe it is a mosquito larva. I also notice one organism very small with an oval shape to it and that organism was also feeding on plant B.
Citation:
Plant A . Fontinalis sp. Moss. Collection from: Natural spring. at Carters Mill Park, Carter Mill Road, Knox Co. TN. Partial shade exposure. N36 01.168 W83 42.832. 10/10/2010

Plant B. Utricularia gibba L. Flowering plant. A carnivous plant. Original material from south shore of Spain Lake (N 35o55 12.35" W088o20' 47.00), Camp Bella Air Rd. East of Sparta Tn. in White Co. and grown in water tanks outside of greenhouse at Hesler Biology Building. The University of Tennessee. Knox Co. Knoxville TN.

Holston River along John Sevier Hwy under I 40 Bridge Partial shade exposure Holston River water Shed N36 00.527 W83 49.549 823 ft 10/10/2010


No comments:

Post a Comment